Monday, September 27, 2010

German Apple Cake























My boys went apple picking with daycare ... they had an awesome day and came home with a bunch of apples .. more than a bunch .. let's just say I slipped an "Holy Sh*t" when I saw all the apples.
So now what do I do with them. I love my apple streusel but I need to make something different every now and then. So I decided to try a traditional German apple cake recipe.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 4 to 5 apples)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • Confectioners' sugar, optional

Directions

  • Combine the first three ingredients; set aside.
  • In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine oil and orange juice and add alternately with dry ingredients to egg mixture. Beat until smooth; add vanilla and beat well.
  • Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Arrange half the apples over the batter. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle half over the apples. Top with remaining batter, apples and cinnamon/sugar.
  • Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 hour before removing from pan. Cool, apple side up, on a wire rack. Sprinkle top with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.

Enjoy.... soooo yummy!





















------
One cake down and if I look at the apples probably only about 20 more to go...

1 comment: