Saturday, March 17, 2012

Healthyfied Chocolate Cake















**sorry, I was too lazy to get out my camera so I took a pic with my cell phone***




The original recipe to this is a pretty typical recipe for a German Chocolate Cake (and by that I mean a chocolate cake as we bake them in Germany). They are a lot more dense than the chocolate cake you get here.

I took the original recipe, cut the sugar by 50 grams and added Flax seed. My husband and I and even my picky kids all really enjoyed the results.

This cake is not very sweet so if you want it sweet, use 200 grams of sugar instead of the 150 that I used.


- 3 eggs
- 200g soft butter (about 1 1/2 sticks)
- 150g sugar (use 200 for sweater results)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 bottle of rum extract
- 400g flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- about 1/4 cup flax seeds (grind them in a coffee grinder)
- about 1 cup of melted dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips )
- approximately 1 cup of mini chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 340 degrees.

Mix the flour, flax seeds and baking powder.
In a separate bowl beat butter, eggs and sugar until nice and smooth.

Slowly add milk and flour-mix as well as vanilla and rum extract. Now add in the melted chocolate as well as the chocolate chips if you use them.

Fill the batter into a well greased loaf pan or gugelhupf pan (or use the silicone version like I did... the cake comes out so easy!!!)

Bake for approximately 60 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out mostly clean.

Let it cool. You can eat as is or you can glaze or drizzle it with chocolate or sift some powdered sugar on it. I decided to grate some white chocolate on top for decoration.

Enjoy, healthyfied and good!